With the Memorial Day holiday marking the official start of summer, it’s the time to hang out and visit with friends. Socializing, parties and being with friends was part of the inspiration for the name ‘Recess 4 Grownups’, so this week I kick back in summer holiday mode and share an easy summer recipe for gathering together. Back to travel next week…
Recess is all about hanging out with friends and having a good time, and barbecue parties or gatherings at the neighborhood pool are the key focus of the weekend.
So, this week I share an easy to prepare recipe for you to contribute as you get together with folks over the weekend.
I found this delicious sounding recipe for ‘Pimento Pecan Spread’ in an issue of Southern Living, except they had you making the pimento cheese from scratch – grating cheese and all that. I skip all that hard work and just buy a really great prepared pimento cheese at the grocery store – Palmetto brand is my favorite. Then adding those delicious, toasted pecans is what makes it taste ‘homemade’.
• 1 container pimento cheese spread
• ½ – 1 cup chopped pecans (adjust amount of nuts to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Toast chopped pecans by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chopped pecans in a single layer on the baking sheet. Put them in the oven at 350°F on the middle rung for about 5-8 minutes, just until they become aromatic, watching carefully so they do not burn. Toss them once or twice during the toasting time.
3. Add toasted pecans to pimento cheese. Serve with crackers.